Recent months have been a period of changing plans for eateries and adapting to new realities. Even those facilities that were reluctant to WooCommerce stores launched their online sales. Running such a distribution channel does not mean less work than in the case of on-site handling. An additional tip in the WooCommerce store is a simple method for the eateries to make more profit in these uncertain times.
There are two places where such a tip field will make sense. The first is the Checkout form. It contains the total amount to be paid so that the user can judge what tip amount will be appropriate.
The second place is the product subpage. Often there are other fields to configure the dish (e.g. pizza toppings and dough) so one more field will look natural and blend in with the surroundings.
Our other Flexible Product Fields plugin is used to insert an additional product configuration field (on the product page). Read the article Tip in the WooCommerce store on the product page for more information.
Tip in the WooCommerce store as a Checkbox
This field will work if the store prefers a fixed rate or a percentage of the total price.
- Add a new Checkbox. Check the appropriate Field Type and enter a Label. The field will appear in the list of fields at the bottom right. Drag the field to a different position if needed.
- Do not check the Required field checkbox.
- Enter a Value. This is the text that will appear instead of the field label (e.g. in the summary) if the customer selects the checkbox. Enter here e.g. I agree to tip.
- Select the Display On tab and uncheck the Display field label checkbox.
- Select the Price tab and check the Enable pricing checkbox. New options will appear below.
- Select Price basis from the list:
- Fixed - net price set in currency units and independent of the cart
- Percentage of Subtotal (ex. VAT) - percentage amount related to the net subtotal
- Percentage of Subtotal (incl. VAT) - percentage amount related to the gross subtotal
- Percentage of Total - percentage amount related to the Total
- Enter the Value (amount or percentage of the tip) and the Tax class e.g. 0% VAT. Save Changes.
The Flexible Checkout Fields PRO plugin makes it possible to add a new field in the Checkout form. The tip in the WooCommerce store is added as global and therefore with the entire purchase. The article about Flexible Product Fields shows an example where a tip can be added to a specific product and not to each of them.
The whole process comes down to what options the user gets to choose a tip. A simple checkbox with an assigned price (fixed or percentage) is enough for one option. But for more options it might be better to insert a Select or a Radio.
If the customer selects the checkbox and gives a tip - then such information will of course appear in the Checkout form. But the tip note will also be visible in places like:
- purchase summary
- confirmation emails
- My Account subpage
- WP dashboard (when editing a purchase)